The Strengthening Families Program for Parents and Youth 10-14 can help you and your children prepare for the teen years. This program is a free and fun opportunity to strengthen family communication and promote family bonding. A new seven-week cycle is scheduled to begin on Monday, Feb. 2, 2015, at Palisades Middle School. Please register by Jan. 26, 2015.
Each session includes a family meal, free babysitting and a chance to win a weekly gift card. Classes will be held from 6-8:30pm on Wednesdays at Palisades Middle School and will continue through Mar. 23, 2015.
New this cycle! – Our childcare option is specially designed to support activities for Parents and Youth – Using storybook characters as a base, your younger children will also explore empathy, listening, and clear communication skills during an enhanced storytime program. Following an interactive read aloud, children will create their own story to share with provided craft materials. The program is led by a certified reading specialist and uses carefully selected picture books to support our themes.
Fill out our online form to register or download a PDF of our registration form.
Weekly sessions include:
- Fun Family Games and Activities
- Engaging & Interactive Youth Activities
- Interaction with Other Parents
- FREE Family Meal Each Week
- FREE Childcare for Younger Siblings
- $10 Gift Card Raffle Each Week
The first half hour of the program will be devoted to a communal dinner followed by an hour where teens and parents meet separately and then the final hour is dedicated to bringing parents and youth together.
Parents and caregivers will discuss a host of topics such as: the normal developmental changes in teenagers, helping teens to avoid risks and substance use, setting age appropriate limits, helping youth to understand rules and consequences, effective joint problem solving skills and ways to show love and support.
Youth will learn about and then practice making good decisions and setting goals, peer pressure resistance skills to avoid problems with drugs & alcohol, empathy and appreciation of parents/caregivers and ways to cope with stress.
What SFP participants have said:
- “The program helped me bond with my child and opened up communication. It helped her prepare for future challenges.
- “I was skeptical at first but doing the program has changed my life more than I ever thought possible for the better.”
- “This was a lot of fun and beneficial for everyone in our family. I would suggest this class to everyone.”
Submit the form below or download our download a PDF of our registration form to mail in or fax to Nina Stephens. Call 215-536-7854 for more information.